I’m an iPad2 GSM user, and I guess I bought it around September 2011 and even after so many iteration (iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad4), I decided to stick to iPad2, as I have minimal use of iPad. I usually use it for reading and browsing internet, and most of the time for writing tutorials and making apps tutorial videos for my Youtube channel. Before iOS7.x jailbreak was released by evasi0n, my iPad was running on iOS6 and now it’s time to update it to latest iOS7 version. Somehow when I was trying to update my iPad to latest iOS firmware automatically, it gave me error and the only way to update it to latest version is by manual update.
Guide to Update iPad Firmware Manually
In manual iPad update, we download the latest firmware version of iOS or desired firmware of iOS on your computer manually, and use iTunes update feature to manually update iPad. In this guide I will be sharing how I updated my iPad 2 to latest iOs 7.0.4 version, and you can follow the same process to update or downgrade to any firmware version (Provided it allows that and is compatible). The only difference with other iOS version would be, you will require to manually download the .ipsw file of firmware you want to install on your Apple iPad.
Here are the direct download link for iOs 7.0.4 for iPad 2.
- iPad 2 (Wi-Fi) (iPad2,1) version 7.0.4 (Build 11B554a), Download
- iPad 2 (GSM) (iPad2,2) version 7.0.4 (Build 11B554a), Download
- iPad 2 (CDMA) (iPad2,3) version 7.0.4 (Build 11B554a), Download
- iPad2,4 (iPad2,4) version 7.0.4 (Build 11B554a), Download
Download the firmware depending upon the iPad model you are using.
So I assume you have already downloaded the .ipsw file, and now follow the steps mentioned below. I’m performing this task on my Mac OS, and for the Windows process will be the same, with difference of Key stroke.
How to manually Install iOS7 on iPad:
Don’t forget to take complete backup of your iPad before you follow these steps, as you can always restore your iPad back if something goes wrong.
- Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes.
- On your iTunes you will see the update button to update the iPad to latest firmware.
- If you are on Mac, hold ‘option’ button on your Keyboard and click on check for updates, and manually browse the download iOS firmware file, and use it to update your iPad.
- If you are on Windows, You need to hold ‘Shift’ Key instead of option.
- Now browse the firmware file and select it. You will get a message like “iTunes will update your iPad to iOS 7.0.x and will verify the update with Apple.” Click on update and it will start installing the selected .ipsw file.
- It will take couple of minutes to update iPad to latest iOS7 firmware, so go and grab your coffee by the time iTunes update your iPad.
Note: In my case (updating iPad2 on iOS6 to iOS 7.0.4) it gave me an Error code 6, and I had to repeat the process, but next time I selected “Restore iPad” + option key to manually select the firmware. I also had iPhone5 cable connected to other port, and according to Apple help file, we should remove all other connected cables. Next time I got another error “Error 3014” and again I repeated the same process of restoring. I had to repeat the process 10+ times to make it work, and finally my iPad was restored and updated to latest iOS 7.0.4 firmware.
You might need to set up your iPad as a new device, and later on you can use restore backup feature of iTunes to restore all apps and iPad settings back to your updated iPad.